The infoshot to help kick-start your week
- Eurozone inflation rose for the first time in six months in December to a rate of 2.9 per cent. The rate was higher than the 2.4 per cent figure released last month but was still slightly lower than the 3 per cent figure forecasted by economists. The rise in inflation has led investors to reconsider bets that the ECB will start cutting rates as early as March.
- The US added 216,000 jobs in December which was much higher than forecasts and the 173,000 jobs seen in November. This data was another sign of a strong economic signals and further led investors to revise early cut expectation bets that were made at the end of last year.
- In December, UK house prices rose for the third consecutive month and moved to the highest level since March 2023. Average house prices rose 1.1 per cent in December as high mortgage rates, which has hurt the housing over the recent year, have continued to decline while mortgage approval rates have risen.
- US December CPI data released, Thursday 11th January 2024 at 1:30pm.
- UK November GDP data released, Friday 12th January 2024 at 7:00am.
- US December PPI data released, Friday 12th January 2024 at 1:30pm.
For professional advisers only, Copia does not provide financial advice, and the contents of this document should not be taken as such. The performance of each asset class is represented by certain Exchange Traded Funds available to UK investors and expressed in GBP terms selected by Copia Capital Management to represent that asset class, as reported at previous Thursday 4:30pm UK close. Reference to a particular asset class does not represent a recommendation to seek exposure to that asset class. This information is included for comparison purposes for the period stated, but is not an indicator of potential maximum loss for other periods or in the future.Open document settingsOpen publish panel