- Inflation within the euro-area has accelerated at its fastest pace since 2013, with consumer prices rising 2% in February from a year earlier.
- Snap Inc., the parent company of popular disappearing messaging app Snapchat went public, with its shares soaring 44% on its first day of trading and its stock closing at $24. This valued the loss making tech company at $28bn, the largest tech IPO since 2014.
- The Dow Jones broke above 21,000 for the first time, as investor sentiment towards the US economy was buoyed by an ever increasing likelihood that the Federal Reserve will hike interest rates this month.
- Due to surging demand from China, the value of a single unit of crypto currency bitcoin has surpassed the value of a troy ounce of gold for the very first time.
- On Friday 10 March we will see the release of UK Industrial Production MoM with current expectations suggesting a fall of -0.5% from the previous month
- On Friday 10 March we also have US Nonfarm Payrolls with expectations suggesting the addition of 180,000 jobs
A score of -1.0 indicates an extremely poor economic outlook, which is accompanied by a high probability of negative returns in risky asset classes like equities. The Risk Barometer tilts our portfolios away from equities during such periods.
A score of 0 indicates a neutral economic outlook with almost equal probability of positive and negative returns in risky asset classes like equities. The Risk Barometer maintains a balance between equities and other asset classes during such periods.
A score of +1.0 indicates an extremely positive economic outlook, which is accompanied by a high probability of positive returns in risky asset classes like equities. The Risk Barometer tilts our portfolios towards equities during such periods.
*as at latest realignment 20/02/17
The performance of each asset class is represented by certain Exchange Traded Funds available to UK investors and expressed in GBP terms selected by Copia Capital Management to represent that asset class, as reported at previous Thursday 4:30pm UK close. Reference to a particular asset class does not represent a recommendation to seek exposure to that asset class. This information is included for comparison purposes for the period stated, but is not an indicator of potential maximum loss for other periods or in the future.