- Saudi Arabia has cut all forms of air, sea and land traffic with Qatar over their alleged support of Islamist groups. Oil prices jumped on the back of this news with investors citing that these heightened political tensions could affect oil supply.
- Donald Trump withdrew the US from the Paris Climate Accord, attracting widespread criticism, and making the US only one of three nations not to sign up to the Accord which aims to combat climate change.
- Global stocks markets closed the week on a record high, as a number of key data points and optimism around corporate earnings saw investor sentiment turn positive.
- Theresa May has confirmed that the UK General election will go ahead despite the recent terrorist attacks in London. The vote could now become more about national security, which may give a boost to the Conservative party.
- On Friday 9 June we will have the release of UK MoM industrial production numbers with expectations of a 0.7% increase on the previous month.
- On Monday 5 June we will see the release of the number of new US Manufactures orders MoM, with expectations of a decline of -0.2%.
A score of -1.0 indicates an extremely poor economic outlook, which is accompanied by a high probability of negative returns in risky asset classes like equities. The Risk Barometer tilts our portfolios away from equities during such periods.
A score of 0 indicates a neutral economic outlook with almost equal probability of positive and negative returns in risky asset classes like equities. The Risk Barometer maintains a balance between equities and other asset classes during such periods.
A score of +1.0 indicates an extremely positive economic outlook, which is accompanied by a high probability of positive returns in risky asset classes like equities. The Risk Barometer tilts our portfolios towards equities during such periods.
*as at latest realignment 22/05/17
The performance of each asset class is represented by certain Exchange Traded Funds available to UK investors and expressed in GBP terms selected by Copia Capital Management to represent that asset class, as reported at previous Thursday 4:30pm UK close. Reference to a particular asset class does not represent a recommendation to seek exposure to that asset class. This information is included for comparison purposes for the period stated, but is not an indicator of potential maximum loss for other periods or in the future.